"THERE ARE SEVERAL keys to good sleep hygiene, and none of these involve the use of medication. ( Medications disturb the normal sleep architecture, the pattern of REM and non-REM sleep.) Simple but effective ways to improve sleep include the following:
- Sleep in complete darkness.
- Sleep in loose fitting clothes.
- Keep regular sleeping hours.
- Try to get seven to nine hours of sleep each night.
- See the light first thing in the morning.
- Keep your bedroom slightly cool.
- Do not keep a TV in your bedroom.